2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 tsp maple syrup
1/4 cup warm water
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/6 cup molasses
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 additional cup of water
1 cup or so of pitted dates (softened)
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and grease or line a 9x9 inch pan.
2. Activate the yeast by combining the 1/4 cup of warm water and 1 tsp maple syrup until dissolved. Add in the yeast and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Add in the yeast mixture, molasses, remaining maple syrup, vanilla, and warm water until a soft dough forms.
5. Once you have your dough, cover the bowl and allow it to rise for one hour. In this time, prepare your filling by placing softened dates (if they aren't soft when you open them, soak them in water for at least 30 mins before using) and all remaining ingredients except for the cinnamon to a blender and pulse until a smooth caramel forms.
6. After the one hour, uncover your dough and knead 8-12 times before rolling it out onto a floured countertop. Roll into a flat rectangle and spread your caramel mixture evenly across the entirety of the dough. Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon and roll the dough bottom to top, sealing it by pinching slightly when you finish. Cut cinnamon rolls approx 1 1/2 inches thick and place on a lined or greased pan.
7. Once again cover with a tea towel and allow to rise an additional 30 mins.
8, Once risen, bake them at 350 for 20-25 mins until lightly browned.
And enjoy! I made a simple glaze to top them with out of Yoso vanilla coconut yogurt and water to thin it.